London has emerged as Europe's central hub for technology and innovation. Recent investments made by local government magnify the city's commitment to entrepreneurship, and attractive tax incentives for tech-driven startups and scale-ups provides a platform for industrialists to turn their bright idea into the next big thing.
What can tech startups and scale-ups do to prevent their innovations from fizzling out?
Backed by venture capitalists and private investment firms, tech accelerator programs provide critical education, mentorship, and financing opportunities to amplify growth and inspire longterm success. Unlike startup incubators, accelerators are designed to facilitate rapid growth through immersive partnerships and programming.
With valuable access to resources and capital, accelerator programs have become the go-to growth option for tech entrepreneurs. Before you decide to submit an application to your top choice accelerator program, it's important to consider the following:
- Expertise: The accelerator is only as strong as its administrators. How qualified is the leadership and what is their network?
- Oversight: What level of engagement and guidance do you want from advisors?
- Equity: Are you willing to forfeit equity for insight?
- Outcomes: What are you hoping to take away from the program?
Above all, when it comes to accelerators, it's important to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of the program and how the program's core mission aligns with your business and goals. For startups who are seeking a structured approach to rapid growth, these five London accelerators may be a good fit:
The Best London Accelerators for Tech Startups and Scale-ups
Backed by world-class venture capitalists, angel investors, and corporate entities, Seedcamp has provided early-stage and micro-seed funding to more than 650 entrepreneurs from over 150 startups within 28 industries. Since August 2017, Seedcamp-backed companies have raised over $900m in follow-on funding on a $1b valuation.
As noted in their mission statement:
"Successful companies, in our experience, come in many different shapes and sizes, but have a few attributes in common at the early stage. These include the quality of the founding team, how well they've considered their customer, the market size of their opportunity."
- Program Details: Early-stage startups encouraged to apply. Multiple investment opportunities available according to cash and dilution preferences. Hosts an onboarding week featuring intensive workshops and training programs.
- Services + Provisions: Over €500k core service discounts available. Access to coworking space in London, Europe, and United States. Startups gain exposure to multinational venture capitalist, private equity, and angel investors + receive expert mentoring opportunities.
- Success Stories: TransferWise, Revolut, Zemanta, WeFox
Startupbootcamp is a global accelerator with 21 programs in major cities including London, New York, Amsterdam, and many more. Each location focuses on a specific tech vertical such as commerce, finance, food, energy, and transportation. London's Startupbootcamp offers three-month accelerated development programming to early-stage insurance and financial startups. During the program, selected startups are awarded with €15k in cash with access to more than €500k in exclusive partner deals from technology partners including Amazon, Hubspot, and others. After the course, portfolio companies have access to exclusive members-only events and alumni growth programs.
Since 2010, Startupbootcamp has invested in more than 450 startups with €240m in funding.
- Program Details: Open to startups in any stage. Requires a three month commitment. Mentor and corporate partnership opportunities available. Startups must live in program city.
- Services & Provisions: Six months of free office space, technology discounts, living expenses covered, mentor and partnership opportunities provided.
- Success Stories: Relayr, Mint Solutions, TagTag City, LoyaltyLion
A first of its kind industry technology accelerator, RocketSpace supports scale-ups with industry focused expertise, insight, and action. The program is designed to provide ongoing strategic development through highly qualified corporate collaborators and partnership opportunities. Benefits of the program include:
- Zero equity requirements: Unlike other programs, equity is not required from startups, which allows RocketSpace to drive a successful program without any bias actions in program design.
- Expand industry knowledge: A tailored, virtual curriculum is provided for each startup cohort. This phase may include industry snapshots, pilot coaching, and corporate workshops.
- Validate your product: A product validation phase is included to advance corporate-startup partnerships. Participating startups are able to test their technologies with corporate collaborators.
- Access to investment opportunities: Throughout the program, startups have ongoing meetings with corporate collaborators, are able to pilot solutions, and explore partnership opportunities.
Unlock boundless innovation and fuel the longterm success of your tech startup while working alongside the brightest tech entrepreneurs. With convenient access to flexible workspace, amenities, and members-only networking events and professional development programming, RocketSpace is much more than just your average tech accelerator.
To learn more, visit https://rocketspace.com.
Interested in learning more about our tech campus community? Visit us for a tour and get a free day pass:
A global force in tech with accelerator programs in autonomy, health, retail, mobility, and more, Techstars has supported 1,024 total companies, raising a combined total of over $3.8b on a $9.9b market cap.
- Program Details: $100k convertible note offered to all companies upon acceptance, $20k in exchange for six percent stock, access to resources for life, 90-day program, equity back guarantee.
- Services + Provisions: Global network of mentors and corporate partners, 3 months of office space, and 400 perks worth over $1m.
- Success Stories: Contently, Digital Ocean, Sphero
Founders Factory provides both early and late-stage programming for entrepreneurs. With access to a global network of entrepreneurs and top-tier digital talent, Founders Factory has invested in over 200 innovative business across six key technology sectors including media, education, beauty, travel, artificial intelligence, and finance. With backing from Aviva, Guardian Media Group, L'Oreal, and others, Founders Factory has built some of the most successful technology businesses in Europe. According to Brent Hoberman, Co-Founder and Executive Chairman:
We provide a unique opportunity for forward thinking corporates to develop truly innovative products. Our corporate partners have the market insight and can catapult a startup's access to a market. We work with corporates to gain access to potential customers and users creating product/market fit.
- Program Details: Six month program, £30k cash and £220k in services, access to distributed team of experts across multiple disciplines and verticals.
- Services + Provisions: Corporate partnership opportunities, desk space, exclusive events.
- Success Stories: Fanbytes, Cortechs, Cosmose
Discover a Platform for Startup Success
Accelerators provide critical access to mentorship, partnership, programming, and funding opportunities designed to boost growth and scale your startup faster. With access to a no-risk, zero equity accelerator program, connect with leading innovators and entrepreneurs at our tech campus and unlock the full potential of your tech startup.
At RocketSpace, connect with a likeminded community of experts and tech entrepreneurs, collaborate and unlock valuable partnerships, and build the next generation of technological innovations. Join our community of industry leading tech entrepreneurs and discover the speed and direction you need to take your startup beyond the status quo.
NAVIGATE LONDON'S TECH SCENE WITH ONE HANDY GUIDE.
The Meetups, VCs, Accelerators, Events, and Key Places London Tech Startups Need to Know About.